Whether you’re getting ready to sell your home, or you’re simply ready for a fresh new look for your home, cleaning your carpets is a key part of feeling comfortable and loving the way your house looks. While cleaning your carpets sounds like a simple task, there are a few things that you’ll want to keep in mind to keep your carpets looking new and clean for as many years as possible. Let’s take a look at some common mistakes that homeowners make that can cost them years of enjoying fresh, clean carpets.
- Failing to read instructions on carpet cleaners – Not all carpet cleaners are created equal, and it’s vital that you use carpet cleaners as intended. Read the label, and don’t hesitate to check out the company’s website if you need new information on how to properly select a cleaner for your carpet.
- Not vacuuming enough – Some people vacuum too much, but others don’t vacuum enough. You should never wait until your carpets are visibly dirty to vacuum. If you have little kids running around or pets shedding on your floors, you may need to vacuum as often as once every other day.
- Scrubbing with too much vigor – It’s natural to imagine that putting some muscle into trying to scrub a stain out of carpet is the best way to get a tough spot out, but doing so can actually damage the carpet. Fibers in the carpet can be delicate, and it’s key that you approach stains in a way that will not cause further damage. Working the stain out gently with a white towel and a carpet spotter is a better option.
- Overusing certain areas – Some areas of the carpet, such as those that lead from the living room to the kitchen, get used far more heavily than others. It’s key to cover these areas with area rugs, rather than constantly trying to scrub them clean. If you notice that certain areas of your carpet are wearing quickly, it’s key to cover these areas with a runner or area rug so that they wear at a similar speed to the rest of your carpet.
- Trying to do it all your own – While it can be tempting to try to get your carpets as clean as possible on your own, it’s essential that you bring in professional carpet cleaners from time to time. A professional carpet cleaner has access to professional cleaners, equipment, and knowledge about how to get your carpet as clean as possible.
If you don’t have the interest or time to do it yourself, Steamex Eastern has the right carpet cleaning solution and cleaning methods needed to deliver clean and bright carpeting every time. Give us a call today!